Serving North and South Carolina


household mold

Why Is Household Mold Dangerous?

Posted By

Household Mold – When a home isn’t properly waterproofed, it can be at a greater risk of water damage. Unfortunately, if this happens, then the growth of household mold may be experienced. This will be evident with the appearance of small black dots or brown fuzz on walls or floors. If this is something you’ve seen in your home, then it’s important to address it immediately. Even in small amounts, mold is more dangerous than most people realize. To learn more about it, the information below can help.

What is Household Mold?

Household Mold is a type of fungus that can grow both outdoors and indoors in damp environments. The spores that exist in mold can release into the air and stick around even in harsh environments. Unfortunately, this means that they can likely be found in your breathing air. If this is the case, then spores can travel into your body and lungs to wreak havoc on your health.

Dangers of Mold

1. Irritating Allergies

For individuals who have mold allergies, inhaling mold spores can cause a number of symptoms. This includes itchy/watery eyes, sneezing, and a runny nose. For those who also suffer from asthma, this can make it difficult to breathe. While many people think these allergies are caused by weather, it could very well be the mold in their home.

2. Trigger Sinus Infections

A study done by the Mayo Clinic found that the majority of chronic sinus infections were caused by exposure to mold. This is why many people continue to struggle with these infections despite taking medications. If the mold is never removed from the home, then the spores will remain in the air. In fact, the spores can increase as the mold continues to grow over time.

3. Damage to the Lungs

In homes that have elevated levels of black mold, lung damage is an unfortunate risk. This is because black mold can carry dangerous toxins that damage the cell structures within the body. This can lead to a number of health problems, including trouble breathing and even the inability to smell.

4. Feeling Unwell

While mold is especially dangerous to those who are allergic to it, they’re not the only ones at risk. Anyone who breathes in mold spores can begin to feel unwell as the body reacts to the toxins. This can cause a runny nose, cough, irritated throat, nausea, fatigue, or even dizziness. These symptoms can worsen over time if mold is not removed from the breathing environment.

5. Health of Pets can Suffer

Any pets in a home with mold are also at risk of health problems. Exposure can leave them with skin rashes, sores, runny eyes, itchy ears, or even fatigue. Symptoms will get worse over time and can trigger breathing problems as well.

How Can You Address Mold?

If you have mold in your home, then having it professionally removed is crucial. This will ensure it’s fully eradicated so your breathing air is clean again. Beyond this, it’s important to have household waterproofing done as soon as possible. This will minimize your chances of mold exposure caused by water damage.